Monday, March 24, 2014

Spring Equinox


k6186

Last Thursday was the Spring Equinox, and it was also the day I began the final leg of my 2000 plus kilometer walk around Kyushu following the Kyushu 88 Temple Pilgrimage. First stop was Ohashi Kannon-ji, temple #76, in Yoshii, north of Sasebo. Behind the temple was this huge natural bridge. Certainly a big surprise.

k6210

Later I left the main road and cut across the hills to visit Tabira Church. Christian cemeteries are not a common sight in most parts of Japan. Photos of the church can be found at this earlier post

k6252

Then it was over the bridge to the island of Hirado. Temple #77 is Saikyo-ji.

k6270

Then a trek up to the far north of the island to temple 78 which is at the beach where Kukai left on his journey to China in 804. This is a Shingon pilgrimage, so Kukai sites feature heavily.

k6289

Back in the main town I just had time for a quick trip to one of the scenic spots, The View Of a Church and Temple. The church is the St Xavier Memorial Church. Photos of which can be seen here.

So now I am in Karatsu. Tomorrow I plan to visit the site where the earliest example of rice in Japan was found. All being well in 4 days I should reach Munakata and the end of my 78 day journey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment